Thursday, May 31, 2018

INTO the DESERT - Part V of V


 Into the Desert 2018
carol p. vaccariello, dmin., lpc
storyteller



(BACK TO PART IV)
Eleven Large Stone-People

Raven made its rounds.  Every day, more than once, black wings would pierce the clear, bright, blue sky. Always two. A Messenger. A lesson. A call.  One afternoon, seated in my tent for a moment’s relief from the wind, I heard a sound I thought was Luna panting.  The sound came close.  Looking up to the left, I saw black wings barely above my tent.  The sound was the powerful flap of black wings.  I wrote a chant about that moment:

refrain:            Raven, Mother
                        Watch you hover,
                        As you take to the sky.
Dipping, diving
                                    And contriving
                                    Teaching us to fly.
verse:              Antics in the air.
                        Children see you share.
                        Wings of power,
                        Black eyes shower
                        Love everywhere        repeat refrain:

+++

A full week of challenging outdoor and inner elements.  Eager for a warm bed in a dry room.  One of the men asked, “Would anyone like to share the cost of a room in town tonight?”

No hesitation.  Experienced the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage across Spain. Sometimes fifty men and women in one room of stacked beds.  I learned Spanish:  Reserva Uno Habitacion.   Dos Camas.  Reserve one room, two beds. 

There is only one motel in Tecopa.  A Running Marathon coming through. Concerned about availability. Pretty, willowy, young woman behind the desk.  Confirmed my doubts.  Nothing available in town.  Media crew booked all the rooms. 

She saw our desperate glances. Looked through me.  Asked a strange question, “Are you a healer?”  I hesitated, “Yes, I am a healer.” Wondered at the question.  First time I had ever seen her.  Curiosity tugged. 

“A guest requested a healer.  Would you agree to meet with him?” I agreed.

A question hung in the pause, “What do you need for the night?” 

We explained.  Emerging from a Spiritual Desert Experience. Needed one space with two beds.  Simple and meager.   

March 17th, Saint Patrick’s Day. Her boyfriend was in town for a party. She would be staying with him tonight.  “Would you like to use my place?  I live in an old yellow school bus in the RV section. I can ask the owner if it is all right with him and the fee for you to use it.  I get to use the bus as part of my wages.  The RV section is a different fee than the private rooms.” 

She brought in, Guacamole and chips.  Freshly made today. We waited.  Amazed and overwhelmed by her offer.  Total strangers.  Opening her private personal space.  She returned to the desk. All set. 

“Don’t arrive before 8:00 p.m.  Showers and toilet facilities are in the Hot Pool House.  Here are keys.  Be out by 10:00 a.m.  Fee $25 each.”

+++

Our last dinner.  They wanted to sit outside, of course.  I was so cold.  The wind simply would not give up.  The owner came out.  Offered me a place inside. Protected from harsh chill factor.  No way would I leave the guys.  This was our final meal together.  We were a pack.  One of the pack walked away. Returned with a large quilt.  Told me to stand. Wrapped me in it.  Oh, what a relief.  Warmth! 

Sky watched me snuggle in the quilt.  Without warning, he was on my lap. Enfolding him in my quilted arms. A little boy in an adult man’s body, on Grandma’s knee. He enjoyed the warmth.  I enjoyed his warmth. His full weight on my lap.  Food arrived.  Time to eat.

+++

I claimed the bed in the back of the bus.  He got the couch in the front.  Worked out great.  Only a single light worked.  No power.  Used candles and flashlights.  Other pack members, including Luna, chose to sleep outdoors. Next to the bus.  Light from the RV lot.  Lots of Wind!
+++

An experience of pure delight.  I have had this experience before.  There is something that happens in one’s energy field after participating in an intense spiritual experience.  Others feel it. Sense something unique.  Drawn to this clean, purified energy. Yearn to be part of it.  Enveloped in it. Extraordinary Beauty.
+++

A perfect way to end our week together.  A place to sleep.  Hot Pools for relaxing. Continued high winds – challenging reminders of strengths we each need to continue to nurture.

+++

Saturated. Wind-blown. Raven’s Wings. Earth’s many gifts. Delighted, she shared, embraced and held.  Trusted us.  ………..Moved to tears and wonder at such giving.

+++

Two gifts. A million. A note on the table in the bus.  She was so delighted to have something to share with us.  To open her home.  To trust us with everything she had.  We received the gifts with tears and wonder at such self-less love.

+++

winged rhythm
can you hear it? 
quiet
shhhhh
…s i l e n c e…
raven croaks



No comments:

Post a Comment