Wednesday, May 1, 2019

2019-04-30. Leaving and Arriving: Life’s Story!

Today is May 1, 2019. How did that happen? Where did April go? Do you ever ask yourself about the fleeting nature of time? For me, it reminds me of the sacred quality of time. That every moment is just that a precious moment and once it is gone - it is gone forever. As I live into this eighth decade of my life, it seems to go by faster and faster. Sometimes, I wonder what the rush is? As a child, I didn’t comprehend what my Grandmother meant when she commented on the fleeting nature of time. Now, I get it!

News about Today - starting with Yesterday (see how fast it goes? I have to go backwards, in order to go forwards into NOW.

Yesterday, April 30, 2019, this is what I wrote:

It is 12:48, I woke every hour on the hour expectant to hear the 5:45 a.m. bells, 6:00 a.m. bells, 7:00 bells, 7:15 bells - It doesn’t matter which one, all BELLS. That being said, there are some combinations of tones that I like the best. Usually involves a kind of rolling of tones, as if being poured out of a huge container. I also love when the largest of the bells is engaged, the one at the top that can most easily be seen. It is not sounded very often. It is so sonorous.

I longed to say goodbye to the Monks’ Sacred Garden this morning, however, I decided it is more important to keep the privacy restrictions and be invited back for a visit at another time. I don’t want to lose this privilege.

I was up with the 5:45 a.m. Bells. Finished last minute packing. Almost forgot my sandwich in the kitchen refrigerator. Went back for it. A drizzly, rainy day. I went first to check out at the Hotel. Paid for the nine days from Easter April 21 till today April 30. Left my luggage there. The woman who took care of me has become a familiar face. We always exchange large smiles of recognition. She calls me “Lady,” so very respectful and full of kindness. The sound of being called LADY, cracks me up but, of course, I would never show it. I am not accustomed to this level of formality.

Stairs to the Black Virgin
I asked to leave my luggage while I go to say goodbye to the Basilica. I keep my backpack with computer under my rain jacket and take it with me. I take some last photos- at this quiet hour the Basilica is empty - a rare sight. I stood and absorbed the 7:00 a.m. sounding of the bells - one last time this rip. When the door to the Black Madonna was opened a Chinese family was waiting. They hurried through their visit. I thought they would stop in the Cambril chapel area for a while, but they didn’t. I paid my visit to Morenenta undisturbed. There was no one behind me. I took my time to take all the photos I’ve taken before and more. Hands and toes of Mother and Child. Close ups of both faces, and then, something strange happened. My camera started flickering on and off. I didn’t think I would be successful in getting a close up of her face. I even have a couple of totally black photos of evidence of this seeming electric faulting. I thought about what I read concerning the energy from the mountain -electric magnetic fields that some say play a part in the healings near the statue. I mentioned this morning’s experience to Father Toni. He shared that there were tests done to measure the electrical fields around the Basilica and in the Square in front of the Basilica. Most of the talk about electromagnetic fields could not be scientifically measured. The only evidence that showed up was due to some underground water. I mentioned to Father Toni, that often this seems to be true at sites of great Cathedrals to the Madonna, that are built over ancient Pagan Ritual space, where there are, in fact, underground water or wells.
Black Virgin. Santa Maria de Montserrat

This experience with my camera flickering and then working perfectly well after this morning’s occurrence, reminded me of something similar that happened when I was with a group of students visiting a site in Southern Ohio of the Serpent Mound. At that time - it was before I owned an Iphone, I was using a digital camera. When I attempted to take photos at the mounds, my camera did all kinds of unexpected things that I can’t even explain or describe. I thought my camera was ruined. I didn’t understand what was wrong. When we left this place, I mentioned to some in the group what had happened. They told me to try the camera again. They explained that there is an electrical field at the mounds that can cause this to happen and the camera is actually fine! I didn’t believe them. 

I attempted to use the camera later that day and it was absolutely fine.

This leaves me with questions about what happened this morning while photographing Morenenta? What happened? Was it my own energy that caused the malfunction? Is that a possibility? I know I am having very strong feelings about leaving this sacred place. Could it be?

What is the power of our personal energy? on cameras? on one another? on ourselves?

These are questions, like so many, that may never be answered. That’s okay. There is something about the mystery that makes it all the more special, the not knowing!

As I exited, I paused momentarily in the Cambril, behind the Statue. I remembered the very first time I was in that Chapel. There had been a red rope restricting entry because there was a private Mass going on. I was visiting the Basilica for the very first time. I heard singing as I passed the small Chapel and I paused to look just for a moment and then, seeing the red rope, I continued. Just as I was walking away, a man lifted the red rope and invited me to come in. Without hesitation, I entered and attended the completion of the Mass that was being celebrated in Spanish or Catalan. I watched as the Priest spoke and kept pointing up to the back of the statue that is present in this room. I received Holy Communion. An unexpected sacred moment for me, a passerby, invited in, given an unexpected banquet of grace, released to the world, changed. I knew I would be back. I knew I must come back. The message of the Mary visitations on the Camino actualizing. Now I have visited four times and according to the message received from the Virgin as I prayed, this visit, in the Hermitage of Saint Iscles, I need not worry, I will return.

She has taught me so much in each of the visits, especially about how I am to love her Son. That is a much longer story to share.

Red Rope at the Cambril door
Yesterday, as I left the Cambril for the last time this visit, I place the Red Rope across the entry to the Chapel, just as I had first seen it years ago. I took a picture, to remember. I put it back the way I found it and walked away.

It is still raining. I went back to the hotel to claim my luggage. Being early to meet Father Toni, who offered to take me to the train that would get me to the airport on time, I waited at the hotel where it was warm and dry. At the appointed time I went to the parking area. We loaded my luggage into the car and off down the winding mountain road to the station. Thank heaven for Father Toni’s help to get me through the ticket machines and on to the correct platform and the train headed in the correct direction.

The train arrived on the opposite track of what we expected. Quickly we said goodbye and off I went toward Barcelona.

When I arrived at P. Espanya the ticket agent spoke English and explained that it would be easier for me to go back three stops toward where I had come from, because there was a direct connection into the Airport Terminal. A much easier way than to attempt a bus from here. He was very kind and let me re-enter using the same ticket to go back to Europa Firma and then switch to the Metro Line 9 directly into Terminal One where I was departing on Vueling Airlines.

I asked several people where to locate the airline desk. No one seemed to know what I was talking about. Now I am wondering if I am at the correct airport…just a little bit of panic! Finally, I was referred to an information desk. The agent knew immediately what I was asking. Then I realized what the problem was. I don’t know how to pronounced ‘V’. The more I emphasized the VVVVVV, the more confused others were. Now I remember as the agent speaks the name back to me “Bueling”, VVVV is BBBBB in Spain.

I located the desk on the third floor and stood in a very long line to check in. Although I was over an hour early, I was worried about missing my flight. Once my baggage was checked in, I was directed to Passport check in. When I got there, I was somehow misdirected. I assume all responsibility for these slip ups. It is all about LANGUAGE!

I couldn’t find my flight listed anywhere. I stopped a gentleman in a uniform that looked like he might be able to help. It is getting close to my departure time. He says that I am in the wrong place. This is the second time today, first at the train and now here at the airport. I’m in the wrong place.

Have you ever found yourself in the wrong place? 
Wondered how you got there, thought you did everything right and still are in the wrong place?
What does it mean to be in the wrong place?
Were you in the wrong place if everything works out the way it was intended to work out?
What purpose, or good outcome was the result of being in the wrong place?
Has it ever happened that the very place you planned to be is truly the wrong place?
Have you ever wondered if it is the place or is it you that is wrong?

He marks my passport and delivers me to a different area. I see my flight listed and realize I have a long walk to get to the gate before boarding begins.I have to move very quickly to get to the departure gate. Breathless and overheated, I arrive at Gate 41 - the flight is late!!! thank you. I run to the rest room. I come back. Still no plane in sight! I hurry to the water fountain and fill my water bottle. Now I am ready to board. I go back to my place in line.

Eventually we are all boarded and seated. 7F is my window seat and I am grateful that in the very full plane, the middle seat is left unoccupied. I have a little room to stretch. I am exhausted from the stress of the journey. I sleep for a little while. I awake in time to purchase a bottle of mineral water. All day, I have been eating the sandwich I purchased the day before at the Café in Montserrat. I finish it on the plane. I will get to Amsterdam and have a nice dinner tonight.

After gathering my luggage, I go to the ticket machine to attempt to figure out how to get to Ijmuiden where I am staying, close to the port where the ship is to dock. A family is there purchasing their tickets. I ask if they speak English. Could they help me purchase a ticket? The woman knows I am going to Ijmuiden, seems to know me. I must look confused. She explains that we spoke standing in the line waiting for the airplane in Barcelona. She and her husband were returning from taking their son, Jon to Barcelona to celebrate his start of High School. This was a family tradition for each child as they passed into High School.

They looked at the map that I had screen shot the day before of the journey and determined that I would be taking the same train as they were. They assisted in the purchase of the ticket. When it was time for me to exit - in three stops - Jon reminded me to get off the train. I did.

I asked around the station about how to get to Ijmuiden, the Train folks said there was no train. I was directed to follow Bus signs - outside and downstairs. I exited the building. Busses parked in a row all along the left of the large station lot. I was making my way to the building hoping to find an office to make inquiry. The very first bus I walked passed read: Ijmuiden.  I asked the driver if she was going near the address I had in my phone.

She didn’t know how close she could get me. Her bus number was a little different than the one in the directions. She said she thought it could be very close. She was leaving now. 
I decided to risk it. With all my luggage I went to the back of the bus. I didn’t like being so far from the driver in case she could indicate where I might get off. I had myself sandwiched into a seat with backpack on my lap and suitcase on the seat next to me to clear the isle.

Signs flew by. Ijmuiden. I realized that this was a large area. Many signs said Ijmuiden. Bus stop after bus stop indicate IJmuiden. I was getting a bit fidgety wondering if I should be getting off. Finally, something in me said. Get your stuff together and make your way forward. this was a major task: lifting the luggage down, wrapping the backpack on, moving from the back to the front of the bus. I did. 
The driver looked at me and said, “I checked with some of the passengers. This is your stop.” Just like that. I was directed off the bus and told the direction to walk. I did. 
Amazed.
Amazed at the timing. 
Amazed always at how I am cared for, even if there is a bit of drama. 
Amazed I always get where I am going, even when I don’t have a clue!!!

I didn’t see the street name anywhere: Kennemerlaan. The spelling of words here in Holland is so different from Spain. Another immersion experience.

A man walking his dog, coming toward me. I have a fanny pack around my waist, a backpack on my back, I am dragging a roller duffel behind me. I think he took pity. I asked if he could direct me. He read the address I pointed to on my phone screen. “Yes, just here. Follow this street. You are at 300. Must go to 118. Not far. This side of the street. I know the place. You are fine.”

At that I was on my way, quickly snuggled into a wonderful clean room. Unpacked, changed clothes, went out for a walk. Got lost. Needed to ask directions back. My phone is not providing Google Maps because I have gone from Spain to Holland. I will take care of that in the morning so that I can walk. Walk without getting lost!

Last item. I ate at the Greek Restaurant in the same building as the Hotel Velsen. Food was wonderful and plentiful. I took more than half back with me for tomorrow’s meals.

I’ll bet you asked yourself a lot of questions as I share this part of the journey. Please share them with me. I know, the day was full of questions, but the best part is always the answers that often arrive in ways that I cannot explain.

Ever experience receiving an answer you were seeking and not recognizing you received it?
or
Ever wonder as you held the answer, what your question was?

A day of answers held!

++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment