Monday, July 2, 2018

What Does God Do All Day Long?

Some say: We are made in the image and likeness of God. Lots of folks believe this to be a true statement. I’m not sure exactly what it means – but I do think about it. 


Each of us has an ‘imagination’. I think that’s the part of us that is the ‘image’ of God. God is forever creating. Never done. Check out this thought from Meister Eckhart: “What does God do all day long? He gives birth. From the beginning of eternity, God lies on a maternity bed giving birth to all. God is creating this whole universe full and entire in this present moment.” 

Now, that is a whole lot to take in! God is forever creating, forever in labor, forever giving birth. I think one of the ways that God creates is through us. God expects us to co-create with her. We have been given the sacred gift of IMAGINATION. 

I don’t like using the “God” word much anymore. I think we have loaded that word up with so much of our baggage of expectations that it no longer holds the depth of meaning and mystery that it needs to hold. Sometimes I think about the Universe as the creative intelligence responsible for all that has become and continues to become. Sometimes I think about the Is-Ness, the Life Force of all. For me the Face of God is everywhere and in everything and in everyone that I encounter. 

This gift of imagination is a mammoth responsibility. Imagination is the bed of creativity. Usually when we hear these words we think about Artists, Musicians, Poets, Builders, Sculptors. It is my experience that many of us don’t include ourselves in this list of Creative Imaginatives. 

Truth is, we all share in this gift in some way and to varying degrees. Every one of us is helping or hindering the Creative process through our intent to co-operate or to hold back because of our limited thinking about what and who we are.

What are three ways that you can assist in Creation today? Which one of the three has the most power for you? When will you start it? complete it?

No comments:

Post a Comment