Thursday, October 4, 2018

Algára to Tudela - Camino Ignaciano 2018

On my way out of Algara I visited the church of Immaculate Conception which I found to be under massive reconstruction. I walked in quietly, spotted three workmen in hard hats to my left. They were quite busy studying plans of the work going on. No one saw me. I walked a little further in and snapped a couple of pictures. Then I turned to leave and noticed a sign posted on the door in bright handwritten red letters. I think it said something like, “Stay out of here!” 

I didn’t take time to use Google Translate. 

Continuing my meandering walk toward the train station, next stop, Tuleda. I spotted some interesting pastry. A flat thin crust about 6-7 inches covered with slivered almonds.  I really did try to pass by. Somehow I ended up in the shop asking about the almond delicacy in the window. 

The young man asked if that was all I wanted. I told him I would like one of everything but couldn’t carry it with me.  He unceremoniously jammed one of the almond pastries in a paper bag. 

We chatted a little bit. I thought his price for the morsel was quite a lot compared to other purchases along the way. About three times what I expected to pay. I did not question or challenge him. I talked with him becoming a person and not just a backpack wandering through his city. 

I watched the change in his face as he shared about himself and things that are important to him. As I was leaving, he called to me to wait. 

I think his over pricing was tugging at him. 

He took a bag with at least a dozen freshly baked muffins from the shelf and handed them to me. “A present,” he said, proudly. “A present.” 

He smiled and all was well in both of our worlds -as they touched. 

To the Estación de Tren. As is my pattern I arrived early- never know who is there waiting.......


I sat by myself on a concrete step that was warmed by the sun. A young woman came to sit near me to share the warmth. We attempted some conversation. 

Eva is a student. Her parents helped her to get established here for school. I could feel, mixed with her excitement about school, a tinge of homesickness. First time she had ever been separated from her family. She was the first of the children to leave home.  The heart message I heard: this was very hard! 

We talked about family we laughed as we shared stories. Then I remembered the dozen muffins that I had separated into two bags in the right and left pockets of my jacket.  She was going to visit friends. Maybe she would like to bring some muffins.

I offered one bag of six to her. At first she was shy about taking them. Then I showed her the other bag and told her the story about how I got them. I assured her that I would like to share them. She said, “I didn’t eat any breakfast and I am hungry."  So much for her friends. 

Thank you Spirit of the Camino, for knowing needs before I do. Thank you for a heart hungry longing for the nurturing of motherly love. 
Thank you for the guilt of a boy who made this sharing possible.
Thank you for my weakness for almond pastry that drew me into the shop. 
Thank for a church under construction, reminding me that every one of us, at some time in our life, wears a sign that says, “keep out! don’t enter.”  All the while hoping that some one can’t read the sign. 

Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment