Monday, October 1, 2018

Ignatius of Loyola - Camino Ignaciano 2018

In 1522 Ignatius of Loyola travelled on foot from his home in Loyola, in the Basque region of NE Spain, to Montserrat and Manresa in the mountains north of Barcelona. This pilgrimage changed his life.

His subsequent undertakings changed the world.  He was the founder of the Jesuit community of priests.  

The Ignatian Camino running around 430 miles across north eastern Spain crosses mountain passes, traverses forests, deserts, orchards, vineyards, and visits towns and cities.  It can also be a deeply spiritual journey of stillness, solitude and reflection which is my motivation for being here. 

For me a pilgrimage has a solitary quality to it.  

At home I am often working or being with others, whether in the flesh or virtually.  This is good and an important dynamic for Community building and I need to balance that dynamic of my life with solitude.  

While walking the Camino, I limit technology, to be freely disconnected from distraction and deeply connected with Creation, Spirit and Soul.  My phone is with me for necessity only  (I wonder what Ignatius would say).  

The route is one that Ignatius is believed to have traveled. There is evidence of his presence and numerous legends about him staying in the towns along the way.

Ignatius, 1491-1556, modeled his life on that of Saint Francis of Assisi, died 1226.  

The similarities in the two lives and the teachings that they each passed on is apparent in reading and practice.  
I  don’t know much about Saint Ignatius.  I will learn about him as I practice the 30 day spiritual exercises.  Walking for 30 days allows me to ponder one of his exercises each day.  I think by the end of this time I may have learned a few things.

An aspect of my spiritual practice is to learn about and learn from our Ancestors. There are so many who have gone before us whose lives teach us in profound ways.  

One day, you and I will be the Ancestors others look to.  My prayer is that we leave an empowering wisdom that blesses and encourages Compassionate Community.  Creation Spirituality nourishes this way of being.  

Buen Camino!
Wishing you well on you life’s journey.   

No comments:

Post a Comment