Wednesday, September 9, 2015

ALONG the CAMINO

(09/06/15) I walked Friday, Saturday and today, Sunday. It was around 3 miles yesterday and today! Feel good! Sore, but good!  Staying at Albergue of Jesus and Mary in Pamplona.  Tired - resting now.   Nice  city.  Going for dinner later.

(09/07/15) Today my backpack was lost.  Now they found it and I am waiting after walking 15 miles up and down a mountain to Puente La Reina.   I am walking a lot alone and I love it.  Lots of sun and beautiful breezes.

(09/08/15) I am in Estella today and had time to walk around and find the Benedictine Monastery.  I am staying with them tonight. I will celebrate Mass with them at 7:00 pm and share dinner at 8:30 tonight.

(09/09/15) Barty is a service dog helping his Human walk the Camino.  At night he starts out sleeping under the bed.  By the middle of the night he has scooted to the small space between our bunk beds.  In the wee hours of morning he snuggles up near his human stretched out in comfort.....a Small reward for making this long and quite hazardous journey.  Barty is teaching us all about commitment and true love.  We need more Barty teachers.


Doing laundry on the Camino is quite different from what most of us are accustomed to.  Here a couple of Pilgrims are wringing out their dripping wet clothes and will hang them to dry in hopes that the morning brings dry clothes.


It's the little things that matter out here on the Camino where everyone is taking care of each other.  There is so much to learn as we watch people from all over the world loving each other at this incredibly deep level of care. 

There are nervous pilgrims with injuries from steep climbs and descents on miles of slippery rocks.  Some are taking days of rest to heal. Some are having packs transported ahead. When my bag was lost by the transport company many pilgrims were concerned and offered help when I became upset, because everything that I brought with me was lost.  I didn't have a sleeping bag.  NOTHING!  One of the pilgrims asked me, "don't you know that we will all take care of you?"  My goodness this is a lesson in Beloved Community...a confusing mix of relief, exhilaration and humility.

Pilgrim Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment