Friday, September 25, 2015

IN ARCAHUEJA, JUST OUTSIDE OF LEON

(09/23/15)

Last night we stayed on Mansilla de las Mulas. We lodged at the Municipal Albergue which housed 76 of us in 8 rooms.  There were at least 24 in our room in bunk beds, which is the norm.  I always ask for lower bunk so I won't fall on anyone during the night when making my way to the "banyo" in the dark.

This Albergue was a lot of fun. A wonderful mix of people.  Stephano from Italy played guitar and sang with a beautiful girl on each side singing along with him.  After each song all of us in the courtyard surrounded by our hanging laundry cheered them on to yet another song.  The kitchen was quite busy with lots of folks preparing dinner from scratch.  The aromas were incredible .  Stephano waited till nearly 21:00 ----can you figure out the 24 hr clock that is commonly used here ----to cook his chicken with fresh mushrooms and sauce.  His friend from France was starving but the kitchen was maxed out with cooks.  I was glad that we had eaten earlier,  however, several of the youngsters offered me food.  I think I will go down in history as the only pilgrim who gains weight.   We are fed a lot and all along the Way there are three course Peregrino meals offered.  These are quite substantial!

Today we walked about 12 km to Arcahueja.

Tomorrow we will explore Leon.

I walked with Ron from North Carolina and Dennis walked with Ron's wife, Cindy.  I learned that Cindy is a "disciple" of Joan Chittister and Matthew Fox....so we had a lot to talk about.

Today I received a reminder message from Sisters Ann and Di who direct the Oblate program at Mount Saint Benedict in Erie, PA.  I feel so blessed to be making my Oblate commitment in absentia while walking the Camino.   This relationship with the Monastery is one of the most precious at this time of my life. I have been pondering my commitment which is threefold: to be present for prayer and ministry a minimum of 10 times during 2016.   I have also asked to help support Sister Joan's ministries in some way....to be discussed.  The third is to continue teaching and leading contemplative prayer opportunities.

I know that this Camino time is a time of discernment for me as I step into a new decade of life in my wisdom years.   I want very much to make these years fruitful, meaningful and productive.   I have a huge amount of experience that could be beneficial to MSB if they feel inspired to create space for what I have to share.  Yes, this Camino is very much about what is to come and so far I am filled with joy at the prospects.  So there are times of deep soul searching and there are times of recalling and re-membering, times to feel sorrow and loss, even lost, and times to be elated, joyful and on top of the world.

This morning we stopped at a small Cafe for something warm to drink along the cold way.  Each one who entered, no matter our language or our country of origin, smiled to hear the beautiful waltz music that greeted us.  The waiter was cleaning off tables so that we could each have a few moments rest while we sipped warm chocolate or "cafe con leche".  As he cleared our table and we stood to reclaim our backpacks, I motioned to him to put the dirty dishes down.  When we communicated beyond our language barriers with the music of our hearts he held me in his arms and we waltzed!  Oh my, Camino, I am breathless in your arms.

Pilgrim Carol


No comments:

Post a Comment