Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A Young Fern Sings

Young fern leaf
In the late 1990's I visited Damanhur with a group of doctoral students. At that time, I knew that I had to return to experience some of the wonders that I wasn't able to see at that time. 

One of those wonders were the experiments that the Damanhurians were doing with plants. They had altered the technology of a lie detector that had the ability to pick up subtle changes in the skin when someone wasn't telling the truth. 

With the alterations to the equipment they are able to attach a small metal clip to a leaf of a plant and press a nail into the ground near the roots of the plant. With both of these connections they are able to hear the energy vibration that the plant emits. As amazing as that sounds, it isn't the most amazing part of their findings. 

First the machine was attached to a wild blueberry plant and there was no response. There were a couple more attempts to make a connection with one of the plants. Just as I was about to lose hope in what seemed to be an outlandish claim, that plants could and would actually communicate, the machine was connected to a young fern. After a few moments while we waited for the plant to attune itself and some of us were ready to pack up and leave, there was a sound and a green light began to signal. 

Then the amazing happened. We listened to a couple of random pitches as the plant began to respond to our words of encouragement. Since the tones sounded melodic to me, I began to sing Dona Nobis Pacem, translated to: Grant Us Peace, a round that we used to sing around Girl Scout campfires. 

I sang gently and calmly allowing the young fern to feel the vibration of the pitches that I sang. Soon I noticed that the plant began to change pitches. Sometimes it matched my pitches and sometimes it seemed to harmonize. The whole experience filled each one of us with awe. This wasn't just a quirk. We continued singing duets for a while. It seemed that the young fern was as thrilled that we were singing to her as we were thrilled to have her singing with us. 

Each day is filled with wonder. 

Grant Us Peace
Pastor Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment