Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Arriving at the Monastery

Last night I arrived in Barcelona taking RyanAir from Torino, Italy. When I claimed my luggage, I followed Father Toni Pou's directions. With the help of Antoine, a Syrian pharmacist, who had just completed his MBA at University in Barcelona, I took the Aerobus to Plaza Espana. Antoine was so kind in assisting me with ticket purchase and getting luggage on and off the bus. When I was on my own in this big city plaza, I had to figure out which was the Train Station. I asked for some guidance from my internal council and saw an elevator right in the middle of the busy square that indicated I should get in and go down. I followed the signs to Montserrat and found the ticket kiosk. Although it was in English, I was confused about my choices and the kind of ticket that I needed to purchase that would get me all the way to the monastery. Antoine had told me that the reason the busses were so crowded was due to a Taxi Strike. I didn't want to take a chance of missing this train that would take about an hour to get to Monistrol de Montserrat. Fr. Toni had emailed that if I missed the last "rackrail" connection that was at 6:40 pm up the mountain, I would have to call a taxi....,which I now knew weren't running today. I really didn't want to be stranded on the side of the mountain. 

When I got on the train my suitcase rolled as the train started up and my heavy backpack caused me to lose balance falling on to the woman seated next to me. After apologizing I asked for her help to know when to get off the train. She showed me a lit map of the stops and which one I was to watch for. Thanking her, I seated myself closer to the map so that I could follow along. 

When I got off at Monistrol, I noticed an older gentleman welcoming a woman who also got off the train. I saw signs for the Cremallera, the rackrail train that climbs the mountain. I asked them and although we had a seemingly insurmountable language barrier they pointed to the lift that I should take down with my luggage, cross under the tracks and go to the other side. When I got out of the lift and began walking under the tracks, I saw the woman waiting for me. She had crossed the tracks and come down the long staircase on the other side to be sure that I got into the lift that would take me to the other side of the tracks. Then she climbed back up the long staircase. 

When I got out of the lift, there she was again, waiting for me. She wasn't comfortable leaving me without checking with an agent, however, no one was around so she indicated where I should wait and left me there. 

On the bench near the tracks were two young men who had come from shopping in the town. Nikolai spoke pretty good English and together with Merkolai, explained some things about the train, the mountain, shopping, the water etc...

Good thing they were there. I would have done some serious worrying if they hadn't been there. We waited together for about 40 minutes when at 6:40, just as Father Toni had emailed, the final train came right at the last minute to take us up the mountain. 

When we got off the train. It felt like old friends parting. I told them to look me up if they came into the area during the week and they agreed. They were camping in the mountains and mountain climbing further up the mountain. 

I started up the hill with absolutely no idea where to go. The streets were pretty empty. I saw a lone woman walking, she turned even before I called out to her. When I asked my question she immediately pointed out a man in a black suit with a maroon shirt. She explained that men dressed in these colors were there to help.

He explained that this was the time for Vespers until 7:45. So no one would be at the monastery to welcome me. I found the PORTERIA and left my luggage inside the door. Then I climbed three sets of stairs to find a sign, that I think said they were at Vespers. 

I went over to the Basilica to catch the last couple of notes of the children's choir. Then I went back to the porteria and climbed the stairs again. The sign was gone and the door locked. I was beginning to get a sick feeling that as it got later I might be spending my first night sleeping on the staircase. 

I went up the long staircase one more time, this time I saw the doorbell and I was buzzed in. 

It took a long time for the Porter to locate Father Toni. Who had set up my reservation. I was really glad that I made copies of all of our correspondence. 

Somehow there was a mix up and the guest master who speaks NO English wasn't expecting me. Then they misinterpreted my paperwork and thought that I was to be at the Apartments instead of the Monastery. We finally got past the language barrier and they took me in graciously hurrying me along strange labyrinthine halls so that we could get my luggage to my room and all of us get to dinner. 

I met a couple of women at dinner along with Brother Paul who cares for guest meals. Eva speaks a little English so, as tired as I was from a full day of travel, I was relieved to be eating, to have a place to sleep and very grateful to the Black Virgin and all of her cohorts, my spirit council for taking good care of me with just enough adventure to make the day exciting. 

I returned to my room to find sheets and towels on my bed. The room is simple and wonderful. The QUIET was truly deafening. I opened my small monastic window and gazed at the gorgeous mountain as I prepared for bed. Listening to the many bells, I felt at home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment