Saturday, May 20, 2017

Train Friend

Taking the train from Assisi to Firenze, known to me as Florence, is a tense experience, traveling alone, not knowing the language or how the train system works. I purchased the tickets before leaving home so that I would be certain to have them. It cost me a lot more money for that bit of security. What a lesson in trust. I could have simply waited till I went to the train and purchased my ticket here.

As soon as the taxi delivered me to the station, I looked for a ticket agent. Office was closed so I headed for the cafe to ask some questions and decided to purchase a sandwich. At that moment, a couple of nuns walked in and I felt drawn to follow them down the hall. They met another nun and I asked about the posted departures when their friend said that she was going to Firenze. Talk about feeling out-of-control when, in fact, everything is just as it should be. I now had a traveling companion to Firenze.

At this moment, I am traveling on a train, through a long dark tunnel, with my new Franciscan nun friend, Michaela. We don't speak a common language so I pulled out my iPhone translator and we have been communicating a bit with our fingertips.

The ticket agent came through to check tickets. Hooray. He speaks English and explained that there are two stops in Firenze and mine is the second one, where I get my connection to Turino.

It is almost time to switch trains in Firenze.

When we got off the train, Michaela kissed me first on the left and then on the right cheek and lifting her hand in blessing she formed the cross on my forehead blessing me as I journey.

Now surrounded by a mob of people at the train station I am thankful for having the ticket in hand.

I trust I will find a new friend.

Pastor Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment