Thursday, September 27, 2018

Alda to Laguardia - Camino Ignaciano 2018

Virginia has returned to Alda to take me to LaGuardia. It was an adventure taking the back roads and always being turned around. Signs are very confusing because of the way the roads curl around the mountains 

The mountain villages are challenging. Often you feel like you are going the wrong way and you aren’t. Other times you feel you are going the wrong way and you are!

We stopped many times when the only person around could be found.  I'm beginning to “write with an accent”.  A couple of times now I have asked to have a church opened to see inside and I was taken to the house of the person who held the key for the month.  No matter what they were doing or where they were going, they made time to show us around with great joy and pride. 

When we arrived in LaGuardia, Virginia wanted to get me checked in so that I didn’t have to carry my backpack putting so much weight on a foot I am not supposed to be using. She has carried my pack and not allowed me to.  She has a medical background with two PHDs in Neuroscience.  After checking in to a room with a balcony directly across from the walled city, we looked around LaGuardia. 

Because I am on antibiotics, Virginia brought me yogurt to help replace good flora that is destroyed along with the bad.   

www.toledomonumental.com/sanjuandelosreyes.html
We visited the tourist office to get a map for her to follow home. I picked up a map of the small city and information about the Cathedral Santa Maria de les Reyes and Mass time at San Jaun in the chapel of Our Lady.  

It was time for Virginia to start back. We stopped for a tapas- afternoon snack- and a drink.  

She had wine.  Being on medication, I had juice.  

Not being able to enjoy the wine when in La Rioja wine country is the second disappointing fact after not being able to walk and having to constantly find a way to the next village/town. 

www.laguardia-alava.com/index.php/en/the-cheerful-clock
I picked up a couple of tapas to have with my meds tonight.  Wasn’t hungry for supper.  Not getting enough exercise to warrant much food.  Better when I am alone, I choose to eat less.   I dropped the tapas at my room and went to watch the Dancing Clock in the Plaza. 

The clock gonged and performed at 4 minutes to eight.  Mass began at eight.  I attended and love to hear the singing.  After Mass I requested the confirmation stamp from San Juan but the priest did not have it with him.  It was at his”casa.”   

Although this has been a unique Camino, I have still managed to get verification all along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment