Sunday, September 30, 2018

Albergues, Travelers, and Toes - Camino Ignaciano 2018

I am leaving the Albergue Albas in Logroño in a few minutes.
I will be walking to the ESTACION TREN—- that’s train station here, to take it to the next small village of Alcanadre. 
I found that it is possible on this stretch to use the tren. 

Last night was my first night in an Albergue and it felt wonderful to sleep in a room with about forty people, half of them snoring—at least.  I know I will miss this comaraderie as I cross paths with Camino Santiago. There will be fewer Albergues along the way since I am traveling a newly developing Camino. 

In the Albergue last night, some fond memories of Camino de Santiago. Hearing the many languages as people’s hearts overflow with sharing, a Ukulele plays gently at the fingers of a Peregrino from Illinois. He never leaves home without it. 

There is an earthly aroma and no botafumeiro as we all arrive from days in the hot sun. I wonder if it is me or the man from Vezelay, France who is cycling the Way. He is in the bunk above me. Can’t speak a word of English so we have struggled to communicate. Somehow we are still smiling. He wished me well, being sure to say goodbye this morning. Godrün, from Sweden, I hope I spelled her name correctly, I attempted several times to pronounce it correctly to no avail, she came to give me a hug as she started out this morning. We talked yesterday. She said she walks slowly because of a disability and I saw evidence of that this morning as she prepared to leave. She made a friend yesterday who chose to walk at her pace to companion her. She had reserved a bed here and there were no more beds available, so he was looking for a place to sleep. She was waiting for him to arrive for dinner. 

Since I am taking the Tren, I don’t have to leave so early. Some were out the door at 4:00 am. I am taking my time and watching the others scurrying around to walk in the cooler part of the day. 

Last night I dreamt about staying in an Albergue and that all of our belongings were put in the vacant house next door. Actually Albergues are extraordinarily safe. People tend to respect each other and their belongings. Everything is left next to your bunk and all areas are shared. Of course there is prudence in keeping certain items on one’s person at all times. 

Still taking antibiotics and ibuprofen. You know how much I love that!!! I was really concerned about the infection and so I have to take the meds. I did go to the Pharmacy and they suggested antidotes for both of the meds. So I feel a little better about it. 

This is an amazing experience and I will always treasure it. 

It seems that the most difficult terrain is now behind me. There are still ups and downs to come and I think that will be the most difficult for my foot. 

I will see a doctor when I have completed the meds to get an opinion about whether or not it is wise to walk. 

I really miss the walking and may find a way to do short parts of it. That’s what I'm doing cautiously now. Some out of necessity and some out of curiosity about the beautiful places I am privileged to visit. 

Much love to all of you. I wish you could be here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment