Sunday, September 16, 2018

Monserrat Monastery Zen Garden - Camino Ignaciano 2018

There is always too much to record. This morning though, I went to Laudes, morning Prayer. I saw the man I met in the garden yesterday. At breakfast I saw him again. He sat next to me. I know I’ve seen him here before. Last year when I was here. I asked if he spoke English. A little bit. We talked. I learned that he’s not a monk like I thought he might be. He lives nearby in a small town about 20 km away. He has close friendships here with the monks tight bonds. He comes to study with about four of them, learning theology. He likes that they are forward thinking.

Monastic Garden Entrance
I know I surprised him in the garden yesterday. We did not speak of that. I have the sense that what happens in the garden is very private and no one speaks about the sacred secrets of the garden.

I also know that I’m very privileged to even be in the garden. He was very warm and friendly. Struggling with his English and communicating well. His name is James. Before he left, he came to me to embrace me and to say about my upcoming Pilgrimage, “May the mountain be good to you.”

I am deeply moved by the difference in the people who surround me
here. No one has tried to put fear in my heart. Instead they encourage and wish me well. They know that the mountain has secrets for those who would seek them. Today I have been thinking about the Psalms. The Psalmist sings of the mountains. They talk about how the mountains are sacred places, the home of the gods, for the Hebrews, the one true God.

I’ve been thinking about Jesus., my brother and life teacher. Many times he went to the mountains to pray, to teach, to model, to be with all that is HOLY. The HOLY he knew on the sacred mountain he called Abba.

Abba, Amma, I seek you and your gentle teaching on the mountain. Angels surround me, protect me first from myself and my limiting thoughts. Micha’El and Ari’El defend and fill me with a heart of courage.

Reflection
Dear Angels and Ancestors, thank you for inviting me to this unique and special Montserrat mountain. Thank you for these priceless moments in this sacred space where your feet have walked before mine. I feel your presence and I hear your voice is the song of the plants. Thank you for letting them sing to me and for the technology that makes it possible. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment