Friday, April 26, 2019

2019-04-26 Feast Day Vigil of Santa Maria de Montserrat

San Miguel's Creu (Saint Michael's Cross) 
Big day of celebration on the Mountain!
Feast Day Vigil of Santa Maria de Montserrat

First, I must say a word about a strange repetitive occurrence. 

Yesterday morning I was awakened around 4:15 a.m. when my Cell phone fell on my face from a shelf above my head where is was charging. This morning when I left the Basilica after visiting the Black Madonna, I walked through the area where people light candles of remembrance and praise. As I was exiting, I walked head first into a glass door that was impossible to see, because they keep everything so clean. My observation: two days in a row, head bonked in strange ways. What is it that I am not getting or not paying attention to? I only have through Monday to discover the answer to that question.
+++++

A beautiful day! Hiked on the mountain this morning to Saint Michael, (Sant Miguel), the Archangel’s Cross and Chapel. Wind is very strong. I decide it is not the safest place to be in these strong winds. I look around the base of the Cross and see gifts left by others: money, photos and plaques, memorials. I can feel the pain and loss that saturates this place. The Wind has a big job, cleansing and refreshing so many hearts from pain and sorrow. Saint Michael is the Patron Guardian of these Mountains.

I see money scattered all around. It appears to be untouched. 
Here on the Mountain at the foot of this cross, it is not money. 
It is something else. 
Do you have any idea what to call it? 
I don’t.

I mountain meandered for a couple of hours. Listened and recorded Bells and Birds in mind’s storage and phones video. Strange sounding languages all around me. Walking alone is my preference. I center on the feeling of the mountain and everything around me. It isn’t just about me being here. It’s more about here embracing me.

Do you have a place, a space that embraces you? 
How is that different from you visiting that place?

I wish that the sacredness of the mountain was obvious to every visitor, but it’s not. Some talk and squeal the entire time they walk and never see or take in anything around them. I really don’t understand why they come here. Absolute beauty forsaken.

There are numerous statues, markers, reminders of the Ancestors. 
Most folks are totally unaware. I wish I could approach and let them know what they are missing. 

Two women at Sant Michael hermitage, don’t even seem to notice me walking into their space. Another hiker, a man, now has their attention with some big story. He stops for a cigarette. Really? Here in this sacred place? That’s like lighting a cigarette in the Basilica. 

I don’t say anything because I don’t have the words to say. I keep to myself. They keep talking in piercing tones that I find annoying. I remind myself that if I understood, I might join in. 

I am glad I don’t understand. I want to remain in Mountain Communion. The Mass Bells tug at me. I wonder if I should have considered attending today? The Mass is scheduled daily at 11:00 a.m. The time of the day is difficult. There isn’t a long stretch of time to walk the mountain.

What do you hold Sacred?
Do you make time for the Sacred in your daily life?

After a couple of hours, I returned to my Hostal, the first building that I came to on the return path. I spend time responding to FB and other messages. It has been a blessing to connect and re-connect with so many through FB. I am realizing the closeness that I feel with people I haven’t seen or communicated with for 20-30 years or more.

Are there folks that you would like to reconnect with?
What stops you from doing that?
Do you have a plan to reconnect, before it is too late?

There are an exceptional number of people here today and more and more pouring in. Today is the Vigil of the Feast of Santa Maria of Montserrat. At lunch, I ate with three women whose names were Montserrat. They are here to celebrate this special day. Although the actual Feast Day is April 27th, it is customary to begin the celebration on the evening before. There are more people coming into the Hostal. I still have the luxury of having three empty beds in my room and so far, I am not sharing. That could quickly change as Pilgrims and lovers of Montserrat flood the town.

Do you guard your personal space?
Are there times when you want alone time?
When is that for you?
How do you make that happen for your inner being?

We had an interesting and very tasty lunch. We were told that it was Goat and we think it was turkey! Go figure.

Currently I am sitting in the large area where folks eventually will be coming to eat. Since this building is new, most don’t know what facilities are available. I looked out the window and saw two fully habited nuns walking down the street, one of them has on a neon green baseball cap over her headpiece and veil! Even with the bright sun, I didn’t expect to see that.

Are there unexpected things that make you smile?
Maybe you aren’t paying close enough attention!

This morning as I was finishing up my writing time, one of the Monk Postulants, that’s a person who is just beginning his religious studies and formation for this community lifestyle, recognized me from seeing me at prayer. He came to talk. He explained the events of today and tomorrow and I learned things I would not have known. I know there are signs posted, but, I sometimes miss things that I don’t understand. Tonight, the Mass is at 10:00 p.m. (22:00 hours) which is preceded by a concert at 9:00 pm. (21:00 hours). In the morning there will be a special Mass at 7:00 a.m. in the Cambril, the area behind the Statue of the Black Virgin.

One of the Monks, a close friend, emailed this morning. He alerted me to the pre-service concert that will take place showcasing the Llibre Vermell de Montserrat (Red Book of Montserrat), a 14th-century manuscript compiled by the Monks. It is named for the red binding into which the collection was placed in the 19th century. These are late medieval songs and dances, one of the most famous manuscripts of ancient music. Tonight, they will be performed by local Catalonian Musicians.

I have decided to forego dinner which is normally served at 8:00 p.m.(20:00 hours) in order to get a seat in the Basilica. Father Toni told me, if I want a place to sit, I must be early.

What means so much to you that you would forego a meal to attend?
When was the last time you wanted something that much?

I do find it quite amazing how the people flood this place. It is not an easy place to get to way up here on the Mountain. To discourage cars, because of the lack of parking space available, the rates are expensive. People are encouraged to take the Rack Rail Train up the mountain. 

The Basilica is often filled. All the pews, seats, people sitting on the floor in front of the pews and along the sides. The isles will be packed with people standing shoulder to shoulder and front to back with little to no room to move. It is calm and expected. No one seems to have any problem with this. It is just the way it is. Some people will come prepared with stadium sitting pads, prepared to sit on the cold hard stone steps or floor.

Would you sit on a cold stone floor for four hours for anything?

I have been alerted that after the Concert, which begins at 9:00 p.m., Mass begins at 10:00. There will be many dignitaries here from CHURCH and STATE! Catalonia is a politically charged place. It is likely that the ceremonies will go till 1:00 a.m. and start again at 7:00 a.m.

Lots of reflective thoughts and questions are running around in my head. 
I’ve interspersed some in the thoughts above.

Time to post and get ready for tonight’s gala events.

No comments:

Post a Comment