Wednesday, April 3, 2019

2019-04-03 Lent 4 Wednesday- Meditating

White Clouds Photo by Stacy Marie on Unsplash
A month or two ago, I signed on to a new website that focuses on different types of meditation and focused prayer. Since then, almost daily, I receive a reminder to begin my meditation practice. This has given me a lot to think about. I started my meditation practice over 50 years ago and so I’m wondering if it is time for me to start really meditating.

Today’s a beautiful sunshiny day. There are a few white clouds dotting the sky. They simply hover, as if to be watching my speed as I cruise at 70mph to Erie Monastery for the day. I wonder, is this how they meditate, find their center, practice non-thinking? Simply by being what they are meant to be. Transient, impermanent, beautiful, a reminder of things other. I project my eyes in to them so that I can feel them watching me. I don’t want to believe they don’t know I exist. Maybe they do?

Tree Photo by Quentin Rey on Unsplash
I watch the trees as they begin to come out of winter slumber. It always has surprised me how something that could look so dead is so full of life. Today, there is the reminder flashing across my phone while I’m driving. I look at the trees differently. I wondered how they are meditating.

Maybe it really is as simple as being what they were created and intended to be. They stand there, never taking a step, singing only the wind’s song for us to hear, always with their arms extended up and out. Once again I project my dream on to them and understand them to be praising. Aren’t they?

Vulture Photo by Michael Baird on Unsplash
So many vultures fill the sky. Riding on strong wind currents, appearing to float, with no effort. Now and then, rising up, shooting down, leveling off, never hesitating. Are they meditating? Is it a mindful meditation? Instead, of walking like I do, they fly like they do. Once again I project, thinking how cool it would be to meditate on the wing?
Maybe I can. Maybe I do. Maybe I am.

If all that is required is that I be me. Maybe?

How about you? How is your meditation, deep reflection showing up today? Are you relying on me, projecting into my words? Are you simply being you? How Wonderful is that!

Much love,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment