Sunday, March 10, 2019

2019-03-10 Lent #5 First Sunday

note:
Are these Reflections too long?
Will you read them if they are shorter?
Do you enjoy them the way they are?
_______________

Savings Events

I am visiting friends in Pennsylvania. We learned of a clothing sale that was supposed to be like no other. Our curiosity got the best of us and we ventured to the store. Here’s the deal. All Clearance items were at least 50% reduced, however, if you were older than 50 you received the percentage of discount equal to your years. If you didn’t have a store credit card and applied for one, you could add 15% to that number. I did the math, I would receive a total of 89% discount. I bought some clothes!

Today my age definitely worked in my favor. I really do love being the age that I am. Today I enjoyed a unique Savings Event. I began to ponder. What are some other Savings Events that have informed my life?

I am grateful for the experiences that have brought me to this age. It is fascinating to me that some of the most important experiences are the ones that seemed to hinder or stop me. Yet, these are some of the events that have created the deep shape of my life, teaching me persistence and courage.

I remember the car accidents, two, that could have easily taken my life, but didn’t, a savings event. 
In 2011, the policeman was amazed that I was alive and talking. *** He approached my car door where I was imprisoned by the impact of the Semi that plowed into my car going seventy miles per hour. We were waiting for the Jaws of Life to arrive to cut me out of the wreckage. The policeman said to me, “Lady, I can’t believe you are talking. You should be dead.” He was so taken with the situation that he came to see me in the Emergency Room. He talked with me again, as if to be sure he hadn’t imagined what he had witnessed. 

Talk about the ultimate in Savings Events.

I will never forget the time I got hopelessly lost in Greece. I didn’t know the language, couldn’t read the Greek alphabet, didn’t recognize any of the street markers. This was before Google Translate. I had wandered off, enjoying the beauty, seeking the sea. I walked a long way looking for the seashore. I thought I could trace my steps back to where I was staying, however, going the reverse direction completely disoriented me and nothing looked familiar.

I was panicking and wasn’t thinking clearly. I started walking faster and the further I walked the less I recognized. I saw a man in a strange kind of store. There were large vats, maybe 10-15 feet tall. I think they were made of stainless steel.

Customers were going in and filling their own wine bottles from the spigots on the large vats.** They must have been buying wine. I had never seen anything like this before.
Didn’t matter. This wine seller was the first person with whom I might be able to communicate my need for help.

When I opened my mouth and spoke, he immediately brushed me off. He didn’t understand a word I said. I didn’t understand a word he said. I would not relent, I was desperate. I had limited time. I had a flight to catch to get home. I had to find my way back to where I was staying. I couldn’t even pronounce the name of the place or the street it was on.

Then I thought I might have a card or a key with some identifying information on it. I looked at the key - nothing. I rummaged through my fanny pack and success. I found a card with information that I couldn’t read on it. It was the hotel’s card.

The wine seller was still trying to get me to leave. Obviously, a frantic woman is not good for business. I can only imagine that I appeared to be some lunatic with my frightened high-pitched voice and my determination to get him to pay attention to my need.

I pointed to the card. I picked up his telephone. This unnerved him a bit. I pushed it at him. I pointed to the card in my hand. I gestured until he understood - Call them for help. They understand some English.

Finally, after forcing the receiver into his hand and pointing repeatedly to the phone number, he dialed. I began to feel a tinge of relief. I have no idea what he said to them. I didn’t really care what he thought. I just knew I needed his help.

He talked to the hotel clerk for a moment. I kept saying my name to him- hoping he would get it and tell them I needed to be found. He was reluctant to hand me his phone. Finally, he handed me the receiver and I talked with someone who understood enough English to know that I was lost and needed help.

The man at the hotel asked me where I was. I couldn’t even begin to tell him. I described the store. That didn’t seem to make any sense to him. He suggested that he talk with the wine seller again. They exchanged information. I was once again handed the phone. The hotel clerk asked me how I got so far away? I had no idea how far I had walked. I asked him how to get back, to please give me directions. He said it was too difficult. He would come to get me.

I suggested that he tell me which way to walk and I would meet him. He said I should stay there. He would come shortly to pick me up. I took a much deeper breath now, knowing that I had been lost but now was found...reminds me of an old Spiritual.

I waited for what felt like an eternity. As the van pulled up, the store keeper couldn’t have been any more relieved to see me go as I was to go.
That reluctant wine seller made my day.
One more huge Savings Event.

I am certain that there are more....

What about you? Take a moment to ponder. What are the Savings Events that have shaped your life? These tough moments that sculpt us and teach us the deep lessons that we don’t even realize we are learning. Who are the reluctant saviors?

I am giving thanks tonight for all of the tough moments that have sculpted my life making it rich and wise. For the people that have showed up to witness, even reluctantly.

I know that there will be more Savings Events as I continue to mature into my fullness and I hope that my life will be filled with Savings Events that bless the lives of others.
Maybe even yours!

Courage for the journey,
Carol Vaccariello

No comments:

Post a Comment