Friday, March 29, 2019

2019-03-29 Lent 3 Friday: "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains un-awakened." anonymous

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains un-awakened." -anonymous


I had a little dog named DancyGirl, because she loved to stand on her back legs and dance. She became very ill, made the trip with us to California when we relocated, and then died.

Frank and I were heartbroken. We were sitting in our new apartment with NO furniture, NO clothes in the closets, NO dishes to eat from, NO NOTHING, because the truck hadn’t arrived yet.

Frank was depressed, he didn’t want to get out of bed. I suggested that we go to the pound to get another little dog. He said, “NO”. It was too hard for him to love them and lose them.

I told him that I needed to have another dog, so I called the pound in Berkeley to get directions. We arrived and the woman asked if we owned or rented. I told her we were just moving in and we were renting. She said that renters were required to have a note from the landlord that a dog was permitted on the premises.
I knew that our landlords were in South America and wouldn’t be home for a long time. I didn’t even want to look at the adoptable dogs unless we could take one home with us.
We left.

We went to Home Depot to pick up the hardware to hang curtains. I said to Frank, “I can feel that our little dog is out there waiting for us.” I went to the front of the store where there was a payphone - this was before we had a cell phone. I called the Oakland Pound and shared our story of being new in the area and our dog’s untimely death.

The woman asked what kind of dog we were looking for. I described DancyGirl, and explained that it didn’t have to be exactly the same - just a small dog that enjoyed being held and walked. She said, “Lady, your little dog just got here. We haven’t even given him a bath yet. He will be ready when you arrive. We close soon, so come right away.” I asked if there was anything that we needed to bring. No, just come with a current driver’s license. I explained that it was issued by Texas, and it was current. She said that would be fine.

Frank and I got into our van and rushed to find the Oakland Pound before it closed. On the way there I thought about how to answer their questions.

We parked and hurried out of the car. Before we even got inside the door. An attendant came out with a small white curly Maltese. He walked like he was a very big powerful dog. Head high and an attitude. The woman handed the bright blue leash to Frank and off they went.

I stayed. I was given a form to complete. There was that question: Do you own or rent? I thought for a moment. I don’t lie. I thought again. I still own our home in Texas. The question doesn’t specify where I need to own a home. Yes! I own a home. Immediately, they processed the paperwork and off we went with our precious bundle.

It was love at first sight. I wanted to name him PACO. Frank continued to call him Dancy. DancyGirl was the little dog that died. Finally, I gave in and he became DancyBoy. He and Frank were best buddies, keeping each other company and well loved, especially when I was gone to work.

Recently I received this quote in a page of sayings: “Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains un-awakened.”

I miss my DancyBoy. There are so many stories I could share, each with a life message.

Do you have a dog or a pet that you love? Do you ever wonder if you selected them or if they selected you? Have you ever lost a well-loved pet. Did you ever have to use an un-truth, that wasn’t exactly a lie, because you needed a desired outcome?
What did that pet mean to you? How has your life been different because of the love you shared? Did you learn anything because of that relationship?

I remember when we first brought Dancy home. We were learning each others’ signals. He was very impatient with us. Dancy would come and stand in front of us as we sat on the couch. He would look straight at us, lift his leg and pee as if to scold us for not taking him out when he expected to go out. It didn’t take him long to train us!

Well trained,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment