Thursday, March 21, 2019

2019-03-21 Lent2 Thursday. Bandsaw! Formidable Teacher

As most of you know, I am learning the skills of wood working. Sometimes our teachers are sharp and serrated - like the bandsaw. It has been over a week now since I learned a new respect for this tool. Two of my workout buddies have informed me that bandsaws and used for cutting meat. I know that in a whole new way now. I am having some difficulty typing this with the fourth finger of my right hand in a bandage to hold my finger straight. I am trying not to bend it. Every time I do the wound reopens. I decided NOT to post the pictures. I leave it to your imagination! I have posted a couple of pictures of the bandsaw. When I look at the blades, I realize it is very similar to meeting JAWS!

Here is what I have learned, and I know there is more to come.
1. respect the saw. let it do the work. Don’t push!
2. always have a buddy or a telephone in case of emergency
3. get instruction before using equipment that is new to me
4. Be sure to ask for the safety instructions to be repeated at least once
5. Take my mentor seriously
6. ..don’t be thinking about all the other ways that I could do it easier
7. I’m sure there are more

Interesting, as I looked over these learnings how they apply to so many aspects of my life
1. Respect the person, the instrument with whom I am to work. Allow the other space to work and have a voice. Don’t Push!
2. Be wise and bring in an arbitrator if needed. See the help I or We need in order to move forward in a good way.
3. Take time to get to know the person I will be working with. Listen to their story. Bite my tongue when I can think of so many things to tell them about me and my experience.
4. Listen to all the communication about safe ways to work together. Listen between the lines. Watch the eyes. Where is the comfort place and the strength and how to bring that forward together and for each other.
5. When discerning an important situation, seek a wise person for advice. I think three wise people, one at a time. Bring each of their wisdom into my heart and discern the best move forward.
6. Don’t be a know it all. Allow myself to learn from all involved.
7. More????

It’s your turn.
I invite you to ponder and think through - what would you add or change or affirm? Write me a note. I love to hear from you.

One of the Wounded Healers,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment