Saturday, March 23, 2019

2019-03-23 Lent 2 Saturday When I Do My Best....

Kalahari Convention Center in Sandusky, Ohio was the location of the Gymnastic Competition where my Great Nephews competed. They are ten years old - twins.
Gymnastics is a team sport that is focused on individual performance. It’s different from team sports where everyone on the team is on the field working together to score. Here it is you and you alone. All eyes on you as you approach that next in a series of highly skilled exacting moves. I like to watch how the coaches care for these young athletes. They lift them to the bar or the rings - there is no other way to get up there. When I am in pain watching the way they twist and turn their shoulders, I am always grateful for a coaches hand to ease the completion of the move so that the athlete can gracefully reach the ground.

I love to watch Brian flying through the air when he picks up momentum on the rings. Anthony is much taller than Brian and he lifts himself, long legs soaring over the parallel bars for a perfect landing.

Team work that depends on one’s individual skill is a priceless lesson. When I do my best we all win. It is not about me being better than you. It is about both of us doing our best so that our team scores well.

Great practice for a life well lived. All that can be expected of anyone is the best that they can be. Being our best is what we offer to ourselves, our families, friends and our world.

Both boys came home with their necks weighed down in medals of achievement. I am a very proud great aunt. Maybe that is really the lesson here. Isabelle, their 14-year-old sister, Vinnie their 13-year-old brother, mom, dad, and aunt Carol stay with them for hours witnessing them as they compete with themselves and their last score. We cheer them on, and they make us proud - no matter how well they score. Simply having the courage to get out there and do any of these maneuvers is enough for me to praise them for their success - because it is.

Come fly with me.
It is lonely to fly alone.
Come fly with me.
Feel the wind beneath my wings.
Come fly with me, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment