Thursday, March 7, 2019

Reflection: March 7, 2019 Thursday morning: Lent Day 2

This morning I am praying with the Erie Benedictine Nuns. During Morning Praise there is always a scripture reading proclaimed from the pulpit. This morning I was invited to read from the Book of the Prophet Jeremiah 1:4-10. Here is the translation that I shared with the Spiritual Community:
The word of God came to me saying,
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
Then I said, “Ah, God! Truly I do not know how to speak,
for I am only a child.”
But God said to me,
“Do not say, ‘I am only a child’;
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you,
do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you, says God.”
Then God put out a hand and touched my mouth;
and God said to me,
“Now I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and over provinces,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.”
***
I have always loved this scripture. It speaks straight to my heart.
There is a Contemporary Language translation that Eugene Peterson published in segments from 1993 to 2002. It is an idiomatic translation of the original languages of the Bible. I like to read it and compare translations. Here is the translation in The Message.
+++
This is what God said:
5 “Before I shaped you in the womb,
I knew all about you.
Before you saw the light of day,
I had holy plans for you:
A prophet to the nations—
that’s what I had in mind for you.”
6 But I said, “Hold it, Master God! Look at me.
I don’t know anything. I’m so young*!”
7-8 God told me, “Don’t say, ‘I’m so young.*’
I’ll tell you where to go and you’ll go there.
I’ll tell you what to say and you’ll say it.
Don’t be afraid of a soul.
I’ll be right there, looking after you.”
God’s Decree.
9-10 God reached out, touched my mouth, and said,
“Look! I’ve just put my words in your mouth—hand-delivered!
See what I’ve done? I’ve given you a job to do
among nations and governments—a red-letter day!
10 Your job is to pull up and tear down,
take apart and demolish,
And then start over,
building and planting.”
***
note: *I’m only a boy, I adapted these two phrases, because I heard this scripture speaking to me. It seemed that if I changed it to: I’m only a girl, it would be loaded with very different connotations due to our gender obsessed society. Don’t want to go there now.
***
Just read that passage slowly and let the power of it sink in. Each of us has been around for a very long time. Before we were even a spark of an idea in our parents’ hearts. Long before we were shaped in the womb, we were not only known by the Holy, there were holy plans for each of us!
These plans came with a Guide and a Guide Book. The words are already in our very being, and we have not been sent alone, AND there is no one to fear. This sounds like a really good deal to me.
Now look again at verse 10. Read your job description:
“Your job is to pull up and tear down,
take apart and demolish,
AND THEN START OVER,
BUILDING AND PLANTING.”
I think these ARE the days for which we were born. Don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment