Monday, March 18, 2019

2019-03-18 Lent2 Monday. An Unlikely Messenger continued

An Unlikely Messenger continued...

Every day I was sure to plan time to pray at the Medicine Wheel. Every day I was visited by the Crow Messengers. Every day I brought them corn or bread. You know, Crows are Tricksters. I think they were holding out for the free food!

I loved to sit at the Prayer Wheel. They sat in a nearby tree and we listen to each other. I knew that soon my vigil would be fulfilled. I just didn’t have a clue what that fulfillment would look like.

I wasn’t very excited about the call I received from the Church in Texas. I never shared this with them, so any of my beloved friends from Texas, please read and hear this as it is intended.

When I received the call, I became intensely concerned. I had a friend, woman clergy person, who had taken a call in Texas and had become ill from the stress of the situation and died. I knew that I might be walking into an extremely conservative situation that would not be good for my Soul. I didn’t even want to consider this call. I did nothing to encourage it.

If I am recalling correctly, we had a meeting over the phone to get to know one another to see if it was worth the investment to fly me there for a trial sermon and visit with the search committee. I heard from them and they would let me know if they wanted me to come. I was in a panic. I didn’t want to go to Texas, but this was against everything I stood for. I always listened to Spirit and say ‘yes’ until the Spirit says ‘no.’

I called my Native American Teacher, Ojibwe, who was also a Disciple of Christ Clergywoman. I shared my concern. She said she thought I was correct and shouldn’t go.

I continued to sit with Crow at the Prayer Wheel. I knew I would have to make a decision soon. The more I prayed about it, the more I sat with the Crows, the stronger the call felt. I was feeling desperately torn.

I called my Teacher again. She said that she was having second thoughts about this. Then she invited me to “journey” to Texas and see what the Spirits of the place had to say to me.

At first, I thought she was talking about the two of us taking a trip there, but that seemed highly unlikely since she was wheel chair bound and lived in the wilderness of Wisconsin across from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Then she explained that she wanted me to make the ‘journey’ right then. I told her, I didn’t understand what she was expecting. Julie explained that I should allow my Spirit to make the ‘journey’ to El Paso - right now - and talk to the Spirits of the place to get a sense of the situation.

I was willing to give this a try but feeling unsteady about doing something this out of the ordinary that I had never done. Julie assured me, she would ‘travel’ with me and all would be well. I agreed.

She guided me into a meditative state, we began the ‘journey’. I was amazed at the ease, the lightness of the travel. Not always sure about what I was intuitively picking up and staying open to how the Holy Spirit was directing this incredible adventure into expanded consciousness. After a period of time. Actually I don't know how long because there is no sense of time with "traveling."

When we both ‘returned’ we shared our experiences. Julie asked me to share first. I know she was interested in knowing if I had been successful in this quest. I told her I was feeling a lot better about the thought of entertaining a call to Texas. It felt safe enough.

I did pick up something that I didn’t understand. A feeling of struggle in the land, not necessarily the church, but the land.

Julie explained the history of El Paso - the Spaniards invasion, the slaughter of Indigenous peoples there. She explained there was still a lot of pain in that blood-stained soil of the massacred. She was certain that’s what I was feeling. Then she said that in her ‘journey’ this time, she was sure that I should agree to go meet the committee and the people. It felt very safe.

Trusting the “journey” the Spirits and Julie, I accepted the invitation to visit and to trial preach.

What is your struggle?
What is your question?
What journey is required for you to know what Spirit is calling you to do and to be?
This is your life. Be sure not to miss it!

This Reflection has at least one more segment, tomorrow.
All is well,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment